Waiting until school starts to find out what is required as you report back, is not a wise idea. Some imagine that this task is a tall order and while at times, others do not know where to start for various reasons when planning to move from home to college. However, with a back to school supplies list, you will take the guesswork away, and you will have everything you need for another year of college.
- Loose-leaf notebook paper. Consider the fact that most teachers ask students to use the college-ruled variety.
- Ballpoint pens – get an assortment of green, red, or purple ink as well, some teachers may require you to do peer editing.
- A ruler with English and metric measurements.
- Spiral-bound or composition notebooks.
- Ruled and unruled index cards, which are useful for making flash cards.
- Calculator or a mobile phone with a calculator – before you purchase an expensive calculator, check with your math teacher first if you have not bought one before. The reason is that graphic calculators, for instance, are a requirement in some middle and high school math classes, and teachers can advise parents to avoid buying a calculator with unnecessary functions.
Also, keep in mind that a teacher should outline the policy on use of mobile devices with calculators, to discourage misuse of cell phones.
- Binder dividers – opt for binder dividers with pockets. They will handle loose paper better.
- A pencil case, which can fit in a binder.
- A planner or calendar to help you record or schedule assignments.
- A sturdy, supportive backpack – check with your school before you buy this bag just in case you have not done so previously, because some schools will not allow the rolling variety due to the space factor.
- A folder that can fit in binders.
- Three-ring binders – some teachers will insist on using these exclusively, during their session.
- Two combination locks – these are necessary if your school does not have lockers with built-in locks and you can have one for the gym and the other for the hallway.
- Pocket folders.
- A stapler – it is advisable to choose a mini stapler, which is not only portable but quite handy for emergency stapling.
- Drawing papers.
- A four-ounce bottle of white glue.
- A few water-based markers.
- A pair of scissors.
- Some construction paper.
- Scotch tape and glue sticks.
- A laundry bag or basket.
- Some dryer sheets.
- Detergent – the easy-to-use variety, in this case, is the detergent pods. The pods are already pre-portioned for your use once you throw one into the water.
- A good number of hangers – consider the velvet covered ones because they do not allow stuff to fall, and occupy less room.
- Stain remover.
Bathroom Products and Toiletries
- Shower caddy to hold all your shower items in.
- A pack of Kleenex.
- An antibacterial hand sanitizer that will fit in a backpack, or on a keychain.
- A body wash and face wash.
- A conditioner and shampoo.
- Shaving cream and a razor.
- Hair dryer.
Other Nice-To-Have Supplies
- A Locker organizer with its necessary accessories.
- A flash drive for power point presentations.
- A stainless steel water bottle – plastic bottles are discouraged because they contain bisphenol, which is a hormone-disrupting chemical attached to asthma, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, congenital disabilities, and obesity too.
You can add more of what you may need in any of the categories in this back to school supplies list. With these items, you will be all set for school!
Download our Complete Survival Guide on How to Pay for College